Sunday, January 3, 2010

Our family is going GREEN!



While I do try to reduce, reuse and recycle, that's not the kind of green I'm taking about. I'm taking about paying with Cash. In hopes that our family will do a better job at managing our finances, we're going to buy everything with cash (everything except gas because I'm not getting two small kids out of the car to go inside and pay. I'll leave enough in our account so that I can use my debit card). About a year and half ago, we became debt free thanks to Dave Ramsey's book, The Total Money Makeover. Since then, we haven't been meeting the savings goals we set for ourselves. Dave Ramsey's plan follows The Seven Baby Steps.
Step 1: have a $1,000 emergency fund - CHECK
Step 2: pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball - CHECK
Steps 3 - 7 are all about savings and while our family saves a lot, we've become much more loose with our money now that we're debt free. So, starting with our next paycheck, we'll be spending our money on paper and using cash! Now that I've posted it for the world to see, I'm hoping to stay motivated and to follow through. I did this a couple of years ago when I was working the 2nd step and paying off debt using an old coupon sorter. I often found myself robbing peter to pay paul - taking vet visit savings and using it for sitters, so I'll have to modify my methods. Wish us luck!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment